Every year my mother-in-law in Texas sends us a 5lb box of the biggest most delicious pecans. One of our favourites recipes using the pecans is Pecan Butter Cookies. For obvious reasons (the sheer amount of butter per cookie) I try not to make them too often. My husband has asked me to make these tomorrow and I have included the recipe below so that maybe you can too.
Butter Pecan Cookies
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temp.
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup all purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Toast your pecans on a baking sheet, about 5 mins until fragrant. Allow them to cool, then chop.
2. Cream butter with an electric mixer, then add sugar. Continue to mix until light. Beat in vanilla, salt and flour until dough forms. Gently fold the pecans into the dough.
3. Separate dough in half, then continue to separate into 12 pieces. Shape the dough into balls, then roll them in sugar and then place them on a baking sheet.
4. Flatten each ball with a glass then sprinkle with sugar.
5. Bake until golden brown, approximately 12-15 mins. Usually I check the cookies about half way through and rotate so that they brown evenly.
6. Brew a hot cup of tea, grab a book and enjoy!