Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Crayons..................

Yesterday as part of celebrating Earth Day, Max and I recycled some broken up crayons. I had seen this done on other people's blogs and after I found some silicone ice cube trays at the charity shop it was a must-do project!

After melting down the crayons we drizzled the wax into the tray, put the tray into the freezer (to help the wax harden) and VOILA!

New heart shaped crayons!

We are really pleased with how they turned out and can't wait to make more once we track down some more broken crayons. I thought that these would make a great gift or some fun items for a goodie bag. The brown heart shaped crayons look like chocolate!

3 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to do these too! I wonder if making rainbow crayons is possible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can definitely do that. Just let the first layer harden before adding the second and so on....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just did this last week! My son hates the paper on crayons, so these are perfect for him. This first time we tried he added WAY too many peices of crayons and they spilled over when meliting in the oven, making my fire alarm go off. The fire dept. had to come to turn it off and the fire man looked at me SO crazy for melting crayons in the oven..

    So now i know, no more than 1 crayon broken up in one spot of the tray!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments - that way I know I'm not all alone!

Thanks!